[wmii] wmii-4 idea - column capacity for a tag

From: Doug Bell <dougb_AT_bellz.org>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 10:45:18 -0400

Hi,

Anselm recently suggested an idea to add a column capacity flag. A
setting of 0 gives maximized clients, a small number is how many clients
are visible (the rest are stacked), and a large number matches the
current default behavior.

This got me thinking that you could do something similar for the number
of columns in a tag. A tag-capacity setting of 1 would behave like
wmii-3, placing new clients as a new row in the current column. A
setting of 2 would place a new client in a new column if there was only
a single existing column. And 3 or more would, of course, create new
columns for clients until the set number of columns are reached.

This would usually be set as a global default. That way, people running
low resolutions could set this to 1 in general, and people with higher
resolutions could set it to 2 or 3.

Personally, I run 1280x1024, so I can fit two full-width clients
side-by-side. When I start a second client in a tag, I almost always
move it to a new column for more efficient use of space. A tag-capacity
setting of 2 would automate this process.

What does everyone think?

Doug.