Re: [wmii] wmii-4 idea - column capacity for a tag

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 10:12:34 +0200

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 10:45:18AM -0400, Doug Bell wrote:
> This got me thinking that you could do something similar for the number
> of columns in a tag. A tag-capacity setting of 1 would behave like
> wmii-3, placing new clients as a new row in the current column. A
> setting of 2 would place a new client in a new column if there was only
> a single existing column. And 3 or more would, of course, create new
> columns for clients until the set number of columns are reached.

Hmm...not my thing. And I have to say this makes things as less dynamic
as the manual creation of empty columns which has been voted against in
the past. There is no good algorithm to generally tell whether to create
a new column for a new client or not. I may like to use this behaviour
in one view but not in another, so I'd have to set this flag for my
often-used views upon start-up of wmii and then I think we're somewhere
in the area of predefining layouts which AFAIK is not wanted...

Regards,
Stefan