Re: [wmii] suggestions for the sanitizing of swapping

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 13:10:36 +0200

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 12:55:02PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> My intention for removing swapping is not the LOC which can be
> safed (that is really a marginal aspect). It is the simplicity
> of the overall column concept and the usage patterns which are
> involved with it. Having a basic and simple move-only based
> concept means, that people use it the same way, which is
> important for future development, documentation, tutorials, etc.
What's the problem with describing swapping in the docs?

> Also, if one compares the move-only and swapping usage patterns
> to dynamic window management, it seems to me that sticking to a
> static number of columns and using swapping most of the time is
> less efficient than using as many columns as necessary for a
> task and using the clients in the specific position as they
> are (or move them if one needs them in a different place).
That's a question of window sizes and involved redrawings. Even
on a large screen (so it's not screen-size dependent) I'd like
to have my main editing window to be the largest and others
I just have open to look something up smaller. When I change
working file I want to have that one largest. And to have it
so, swapping is much easier and faster than some other way to
move the client around or change its size... I rarely split
up my screen into many equal-sized windows. Or, to tell it in
another way: The larswm way very well fits my own way, but
larswm is too fixed on that. And stacking and moving is not
a good replacement. That's why I like wmii but with swapping.
And I just can't see why this great feature should be bad
style.

Regards,
Stefan