Re: [wmii] Re: moving liblitz on

From: Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_ueberl33t.info>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 20:26:38 +0200

On Thu, 25 May 2006 09:56:59 -0700
Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> I certainly have no time or interest to read this whole insane thread,
> but text handling is trivial, including UTF-8 handling.

This tells me that you really don't have the slightest clue on this
matter.

> I think it makes no sense to reinvent a square wheel when libutf
> already exists, and
> at the very least, read http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/utf.html
> before making any comments.

I discarded it as it is the same thing as libunicode on linux.

> As for insanity like bidirectional text and such abominations, if you
> want ICU, you know where to find it; but for sane people that stuff is
> a total waste of time.

Now you offend everyone with a language that is more complicated to
make to work on computers.

> Markup, font, color and whatever, all that crap is at most set
> per-widget (if not globally). If you want to interleave that inside
> the same text stream then you are not working with text anymore, and
> you could as well go use Word.

You don't use even syntax highlighting, do you? Your screen is black
and white, isn't it? You got a chisel on your desk, and some rock
plates, don't you?

> All that is really needed is a small api on top of Xrender that
> mirrors draw(2), and on top of that some very simple widgets ala
> frame(2), and all this should be rather trivial. The hard part is
> input handling, because the X input model is completely crap, and
> abstracting it is really hard without bending over backwards.

There is nothing trivial, but there's also nothing that's impossible to
do in a sane way. If you are scared to read things up and inform
yourself, don't do it. I /am / ready to implement everything I talked
about in this thread, if I get support for it. I won't do it if it is
not embedded anywhere I could use it.

Please get some clue before you get some opinion. Thanks.

Denis