Re: [wmii] columns

From: David Arroyo <goodluv_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 00:26:36 -0400

>I don't want to comment on the specifics here, but if you are
>talking about things for wmii-4, then *please* do not be affraid
>of radical change.

I find this a very improper way of thinking, and a harmful
attitude for the development of wmii. One should not be afraid to
make changes. But one should be cautious. I'm not a computer
scientist, I don't know if I ever will be. However, reading all
the lists I'm subscribed to, it appears that the *science* of
computer science is lost somewhere. There's a scientific method
and everything, that tells you to think through a feature, to
research about it, and to plan its implementation before you even
begin an 'experiment.' Now, I know wmii is a hobby project, but
this method has not been followed all that well. A change is good
if it makes sense. It's usually a natural progression of a basic,
simple idea. Nature works that way.

The worst thing for wmii right now is "new features", where they
aren't needed. Wmii is already more usable than most window
managers, and has done a lot of things right. If anything, we
should be removing features that don't fit and refining those
that work well. After tag bars, I daresay wmii will be close to
the stage that requires art, and fine fingers, so to speak.
Thinking things through from all angles will avoid extra work and
get us to wmii-4 much quicker than random experimentation.

regards,
sleepydog

--
"My words fly up, my thoughts remain below:
Words without thoughts never to heaven go."