Re: [wmii] Floating workspaces... odd behaviour?

From: Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_ueberl33t.info>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 00:53:17 +0200

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:50:57 +0200
Alessandro Dotti Contra <alessandro_AT_dotticontra.org> wrote:

> Morover, I was wondering if the support of a scratchpad is planned for
> wmii or not (it might be senseless, but I found it really useful when
> I was using Ion). I think it would be nice to have a small floating
> workspace which lies on top of every workspace and can be turned
> visible/hidden at need.
>
> If it is not, is there a way to achieve the same result with a script
> or someting?

Yes, it is possible to achieve this with a script very nicely. (Tagging
is the key! :) Just define a shortcut to toggle the tag of the view
you're on on all windows with tag "scratchpad," and define another one
to tag a window with "scratchpad." That should do the trick.

It shouldn't be more than
for x in `wmiir ls /tag/music | grep '[0-9]' | sed -s 's,/,,'`
do

and something from
        http://www.wmii.de/index.php?page=snippets

Regarding your floating app issue: I personally couldn't test it with
wmii-3, as my notebook is on a development version. I don't have
neither psi nor licq, but it does not seem to happen with my apps on hg
tip version. You might want to try out the hg (mercurial) tip of the
stable wmii-3 repos, or even go straight on to the latest snap or tip of
the unstable wmii(-4) repos. (though you have to be alert to some
bugs ;)

Get them here:
        http://www.wmii.de/index.php?page=repos

Greetings,
Denis

PS: Watch out, many code snippets don't work with development versions
from the unstable branch anymore, as the 9P filesystem tree has changed!