Re: [wmii] dtach v. screen

From: Kris Maglione <bsdaemon_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:31:08 -0400

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 08:11:54AM -0400, Ross Mohn wrote:
>I really only use screen for detaching. I would prefer to use dtach, but
>when I reconnect, for example, to a shell that is running a compilation,
>I can't see what the previous output was. I've tried all three redraw
>methods, but whenever I reattach to a running shell, the cursor always
>starts at the top and doesn't show the previous output. This doesn't
>work for me when I'm compiling because I don't get the output to tell me
>what happened! Anyone know how to make dtach redraw work the same way it
>does when I reattach using screen?

Unfortunately, dtach is really meant for curses based apps and the like that
manage the screen themselves and doesn't keep a history like screen does. When
you do need such capabilities, you either need screen or some other program to
work in combination with dtach, like window(1).

It really is a better option to use a separate app to handle
catching/remembering output, since that app could be written to ignore control
character output, since you wouldn't run it when using curses apps.

--
Kris Maglione
Washing your car to make it rain doesn't work.