Re: [wmii] can't start firefox

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 17:49:32 +0200

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 10:57:10PM +0800, phyrster wrote:
> On 16:27 Tue 06 Jun 2006, Steffen Liebergeld wrote:
> > >
> > >Any details about this?
>
> No details. Just a feel. I read about about release notes of
> wmii-3 which says that it got speed improvement over wmii-2
> and I can tell the difference.

Hmm. I noticed the opposite. However, I can confirm the
following:

> But with wimii-3, when I launch firefox and run several
> programs at the same time, I can feel it is not as responsive
> as fluxbox.

The problem seems to be firefox for some odd reason, and I
investigated a lot of time back in autumn to solve this issue.
It seems that firefox produces heavy socket traffic on
FocusIn/FocusOut events which delay new connections to wmiiwm
(using wmiir for example) heavily. This problem does not occur
with fluxbox/other WMs, because they aren't driven through
accessing a 9P service but do most stuff internally (which has
it's pros and cons). What could help would be a persistent
connection, which is accessed by a persistent wmiir instance.
This can be achieved using a 9P client written in Plain C with
libixp or lib9pclient, or in any other native 9P library which
does not need to call wmiir or 9p(1).

Regards,