Re: [wmii] gnucash disappearing

From: Ross Palmer Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 11:31:49 -0400

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 21:34 -0400, jeff covey wrote:

> is anyone else having a problem with gnucash in wmii-3? i'm finding that
> after opening and closing it a few times, the "since last run" (scheduled
> transactions) windows opens, but after i close it, the main window is
> nowhere to be seen. i know it's still running because i have a rule to tag
> gnucash windows in wmiirc, and the "gnucash" view remains open. if i get
> the pid for it and kill it, the view closes.
>
> if i then open gnucash in icewm, the main window opens minimized. i bring
> it to the forefront, maximize it, and close it, and then when i open it in
> gnucash, it opens as it should.
>
> i do know that gnucash windows act differently from other windows in -3,
> somewhat as if they were floating windows, though they're not tagged with
> "~" in /def/rules. they jump around as actions are performed, sometimes
> covering the bar. i suspect that the main window is running fine but has
> jumped to a geometry that places it off the screen. in -2, gnucash windows
> acted like any others.

Don't know the reason, and haven't investigated, but I suspect it is bad
X windows "hints" to the WM. I'm hoping that someone with more X
knowledge can explain. Anyway, you can get the window back by just
pressing $MODKEY-Shift-Spacebar, which sends the focused "invisible"
gnucash main window to the non-floating world.
-RPM