Re: [wmii] Re: wmii-4 fs proposal/discussion

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:15:04 +0200

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 12:54:24PM +0200, Uriel wrote:
> - Fold sel /selcolors and /normcolors into a single /colors file
> (separate the two values by a new line, a : or whatever) Any reason we
> need this at all, an env var could probably work just fine, but IIRC
> that idea was discarded for some reason.

I thought about this as well, and I think two lines of such a
colors definition look fine (if one would need a third color et
e could simply use three lines). Agreed.

> - Get rid of dirs under [lr]bar, it is only needed because
> LABEL/color, and that is a flimsy reason.

True. We can simply define <color set> <text>\n

> - Any reason <class:instance:name> is needed in /tag/*/[0-9] for anything?

(I thought of a pager, but maybe you are right)...

> - Not sure the geometry is needed for anything either, except maybe
> having a pager app somewhere, but I would rather just add it later if
> it makes sense.

Yeah.

> - I still have to see a good reason why an index file per tag with the
> format:
> <colnr or ~ for float> <clientid>\n
> would not be enough, I guess adding the geometry for the client after
> that should be OK too. But I guess this is not too different from what
> you proposed.

Actually I can agree with this as well. To fetch all floating
client id's of a view one could do:

wmiir read /tag/sel/index|grep '^~'| awk '{print $2}'

Agreed.

> Always think that it is easier to add stuff to the fs later if you
> actually need it than it is to remove it, and if you add it when you
> need it you will have a much better chance of providing a sane
> interface than if you try to guess what might make sense in the
> future.

also agreed. If it is necessary we can add it later.

To summarize:

/client/
/client/N
/client/N/ctl
/client/N/props
/client/N/tags
/colors (*)
/colrules
/ctl
/event
/font
/keys
/lbar/
/lbar/LABEL (ordered alphabetically) (**)
/mousemod
/rbar/
/rbar/LABEL (ordered alphabetically) (**)
/tagrules
/tag/NAME/index (***)
/tag/NAME/ctl

(*) syntax: