Re: [wmii] wmiirc Locking Up

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <linux_AT_rkirkpat.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:29:10 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:

> The process list of magellan looks like /tmp is exported among
> all diskless clients. This also means that the socket file might
> be accessed through NFS, which might cause trouble.

No, /tmp is local on magellan only, the terminals don't even know wmii is
running, they are just X servers. All X clients, including wmii, run on
the server. The only thing different about /tmp is that it is a tmpfs
(i.e. dynamic RAM filesystem). Here is the relevant contents:

drwx------ 2 rkirkpat users 60 Jun 12 06:25 /tmp/ns.rkirkpat.apollo.rkirkpat.net:0
drwx------ 2 rkirkpat users 60 Jun 6 06:42 /tmp/ns.rkirkpat.furies.rkirkpat.net:0
drwx------ 2 rkirkpat users 60 Jun 10 17:44 /tmp/ns.rkirkpat.hathaway.rkirkpat.net:0
drwx------ 2 rkirkpat users 60 Jun 6 06:45 /tmp/ns.rkirkpat.juno.rkirkpat.net:0
drwx------ 2 rkirkpat users 60 Jun 6 06:54 /tmp/ns.rkirkpat.vesta.rkirkpat.net:0
srwx------ 1 rkirkpat users 0 Jun 12 06:25 /tmp/ns.rkirkpat.apollo.rkirkpat.net:0/wmii
srwx------ 1 rkirkpat users 0 Jun 6 06:42 /tmp/ns.rkirkpat.furies.rkirkpat.net:0/wmii
srwx------ 1 rkirkpat users 0 Jun 10 17:44 /tmp/ns.rkirkpat.hathaway.rkirkpat.net:0/wmii
srwx------ 1 rkirkpat users 0 Jun 6 06:45 /tmp/ns.rkirkpat.juno.rkirkpat.net:0/wmii
srwx------ 1 rkirkpat users 0 Jun 6 06:54 /tmp/ns.rkirkpat.vesta.rkirkpat.net:0/wmii

But the good news is that I managed to catch one of the locks up in the
act with strace. I have attached three files:
  'okay' that shows the successful processing of 'Key Mod1-Left'
         event. The last event before the freeze.
  'froze' that shows the frozen processing of 'Key Mod1-Left' event. The
          event that was never recovered from.
  'wmiirc' is my current wmiirc script, pretty basic.

Hopefully the strace will tell you want happened. I have the history of
the entire run of wmiirc from shortly after startup until lockup a day or
so later, but it is rather large. I will send it only if it you think it
would be helpful. Thanks!

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | http://www.rkirkpat.net/ |