Re: [wmii] Select window by name?

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_verizonbusiness.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 11:50:40 +0200

Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 09:57:10AM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>
>> I would like to be presented with a list of window names, so that I can
>> choose one with completion in the manner of the "actions" and "prorgams"
>> "menus" that wmii provides in the default config.
>>

> I consider this as unsupported in wmii-3.1, even if there might
> be some hackish way to achieve this (e.g. fetching the client
> names from /client namespace, remembering the client id and the
> tag of each client, selecting the specific tag and client after
> selection).

I think there is something I do not understand here. Isn't wmiir
supported? Isn't every documented command line switch of wmiir supported?

Isn't it possible to achieve what I want by using documented invocations
of wmiir?

So in what way is this unsupported?

I do agree, however, that the "filesystem" exported by wmii does not
make it convenient to extract the information needed for this
functionality. However, this does not make the functionality undesirable!

>> wmii should then switch to the (or a) view showing the window in
>> question, then focus it.
>>

> See above. It might be possible, but I won't bother to think too
> much about it. Wait for wmii-4, which might provide a more elegant
> way doing so.

I merely asked if someone has already done this, to avoid reinventing
the wheel. It is clear from your message that you haven't done this.

But perhaps someone else has?

>> Perhaps it would be useful to have another action that, if the window is
>> shown in more than one view, cycles to the next view and focuses the
>> window there.
>>

> I think that is no good idea.
Why not?

Another possibility would be the following: First, ask the user for a
window name. If the window is shown in only one view, select that and
focus the window there. If there is more than one view, pop up a menu
of views and have the user select amongst them.

Would you consider that better? Why?

Kai