Re: [wmii] Window handling question: how to deal with columns always being as high as the screen?

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 10:50:29 +0200

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 10:05:51AM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> For the purpose of presentation, assume that I work with xterms a lot
> and that my screen has room for four of them (top left, top right,
> bottom left and bottom right). Now assume further that I have more than
> 4 xterm windows, and at any given time, I would like to see a different
> subset of them.
>
> Now, my screen layout would mean that I have two columns, each of which
> has two xterms in it and is in default layout mode. But now assume that
> I would like to swap one of the xterms out and replace it with a
> different one:
>
> * Where do all the xterms live that I'm not currently looking at?

The answer to this question is tagging. Tag unused clients
differently (e.g. tag them 'fnord' like I do in dwm, and later
visit the 'fnord' view, to bring them back to your normal view).

> * How to swap the xterm out that I don't need to see anymore and how
> to swap in the one that I do want to see now?

In wmii-3.1 you can address all tags accessing the /<tag>/ namespace
in the same way as accessing the /view/ (currently seen tag)
namespace.

Thus you can tag clients in /fnord/sel/sel/tags for re-attaching
to current view and vice versa, e.g.

wmiir read /view/name|wmiir write /fnord/sel/sel/tags

> If I have more than two xterms in a column, then the xterms won't be
> tall enough. If I put the column into stacked or maximized mode, then I
> can only see two xterms at the same time, instead of four.
>
> How do people handle this?

One needs to get used to column layout. For wmii-4 the modes
will be removed in favor for a collapse flag per client. I think
this provides a simpler and more-flexible interface.

Regards,