Re: [wmii] Select window by name?

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_verizonbusiness.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 10:12:35 +0200

Anselm R. Garbe wrote:

>>> Sure, but there is no cmd to select a specific client by id.
>>>

>> Okay, so one has to search all clients in all views for the right index,
>> then select the one found.
>>

> Yes, that's possible (but the traffic on ther socket server will
> be very high and slow the whole focussing down if you
> don't use a native 9P library and stick to wmiir calls).

I'll try Suraj's Ruby stuff; I understand that circumvents wmiir.

And he has implemented at least half of what I need already :-)

> Besides this, the approach is racy, because during the time of
> having choosed a clients title and the attempt to find and focus
> it, it might have disappeared already...
Such is life. Suppose I remember which view and column to find the
client in. During the time of having chosen the right view and the
right column the client might have disappeared.

I'll need to output a suitable error message, then. ("Beep!"?)

Kai