Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 09:30:52 +0200

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 09:28:49 +0200 Uriel wrote:
> There are plans for a feature similar to Dump in acme which is
> probably what you want.
> On 8/5/06, Stephan Maka <stephan_AT_spaceboyz.net> wrote:
> > Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > > [...] For
> > > session info use swuspend or suspend2 in recent Linux kernels.
> > > There is no need to reboot the whole computer nowadays, even if
> > > you switch it off.
> >
> > But when software crashes just like wmii-3.1 does from time to time here
> > on a FreeBSD machine (haven't gotten into debugging as this seems not
> > reproducible enough) session saving becomes useful.

Another interesting use of session saving and tag-associated
layouts is on multi-user machines. On such a system I will have
to log-off sometime. And after log-on I might either want to see
the programs I had open in my last session or just have the same
layouts predefined without the programs open yet. (I'd prefer
the last one, as it makes log-on faster and I'll start programs
when I need them only - nowadays software is too large to have
many of them open in the background just waiting to be used.)
I have to admit this goes into a direction similar to wmi, but
in fact there are tasks, which stay the same for long times and
there fixed layouts could be very useful (while the less static
tasks should be handled dynamically, of course).

Regards,
Stefan