Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:24:06 +0200

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 09:30:52AM +0200, Stefan Tibus wrote:
> Another interesting use of session saving and tag-associated
> layouts is on multi-user machines. On such a system I will have
> to log-off sometime. And after log-on I might either want to see
> the programs I had open in my last session or just have the same
> layouts predefined without the programs open yet. (I'd prefer
> the last one, as it makes log-on faster and I'll start programs
> when I need them only - nowadays software is too large to have
> many of them open in the background just waiting to be used.)
> I have to admit this goes into a direction similar to wmi, but
> in fact there are tasks, which stay the same for long times and
> there fixed layouts could be very useful (while the less static
> tasks should be handled dynamically, of course).

X is a network transparent protocol. Any session management
approaches will stop working at the border of localhost.

The planned dumping feature in wmii-4 is only for restoring a
column layout without bothering about classes of windows which
fill the layout (that would be too complex).

If you have to work on a multiuser host without access to
suspend, then session management as you request will not be
possible with wmii and the software won't waste the CPU cycles
for those users, who actually have access to suspend (which is
the majority). Multiuser hosts are rare nowadays.

Regards,