Re: [wmii] Why does Eclipse float?

From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jeremy_AT_jeremyms.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 16:05:12 -0400

Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_verizonbusiness.com> writes:

> Steffen Liebergeld wrote:
>> On 8/8/06, Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_verizonbusiness.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When I start Eclipse, its main window floats. Why?
>>>

>> My guess is that it requests to be float. Just check it with xprop.
>>
> (I wouldn't know which part of the output of xprop tells me whether it
> requested to float. But Bill explained that Eclipse sets its own
> geometry.)

Of course you have quite a few options to fix this; manually making it
non-floating is probably not the best:

 1. change the eclipse source code
 2. change the wmii source code
 3. add something to your wmiirc program to make it non-floating when it
    opens

I don't have a copy of eclipse on hand, so I can't check the source
code, but note that if it has a splash screen, the main window may
become floating solely because the flash screen becomes floating, and
then if it is still open when the main window is mapped, the floating
area will be the selected area, and so the main window will become
floating. (This would be a sort-of bug in wmii.)

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard