Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_verizonbusiness.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:17:32 +0200

Stefan Tibus wrote:
> For work I often use two terminals side by side, columns in
> default/equal mode (e.g. for a gnuplot graph).
> But I'm unable to set this up on wmii startup. There's one single
> default for the column mode. I have to do that manually each time
> I login. Being able to tell wmii that I prefer "1 max column" when
> viewing/creating "www" and "2 equal columns" when viewing/creating
> "work" would be very nice. (something like that)
wmii does not work like that. It creates columns dynamically on demand.

But perhaps you may like to look at Ion. With Ion, you can define
"frames" and then put each client into its frame. So you could set up a
workspace with four frames arranged the way you like it (say the four
quadrants of the screen), then put an xterm each in the two upper frames
and gnuplot in the lower left. Or something like that.

But when you go to the "work" view and hit MOD-Return to create an
xterm, can't you then just hit the key that moves the xterm to its
column (MOD-Shift-<right> IIRC)?

Kai