Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 14:23:49 +0200

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 02:17:32PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> Stefan Tibus wrote:
> > For work I often use two terminals side by side, columns in
> > default/equal mode (e.g. for a gnuplot graph).
> > But I'm unable to set this up on wmii startup. There's one single
> > default for the column mode. I have to do that manually each time
> > I login. Being able to tell wmii that I prefer "1 max column" when
> > viewing/creating "www" and "2 equal columns" when viewing/creating
> > "work" would be very nice. (something like that)
> wmii does not work like that. It creates columns dynamically on demand.
>
> But perhaps you may like to look at Ion. With Ion, you can define
> "frames" and then put each client into its frame. So you could set up a
> workspace with four frames arranged the way you like it (say the four
> quadrants of the screen), then put an xterm each in the two upper frames
> and gnuplot in the lower left. Or something like that.
>
> But when you go to the "work" view and hit MOD-Return to create an
> xterm, can't you then just hit the key that moves the xterm to its
> column (MOD-Shift-<right> IIRC)?

The drawback of these Ion/*/-approaches is, that you need to
think about it and you spend a lot of time setting things up the
way you like them to be. That's why a freeze of your user
context whenever you leave the box would be a killer feature.
It would be in the right place (process management of the
kernel) and keep all crappy software which tries to implement
session support workaround more simple.

Regards,