Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:35:57 +0200

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 01:52:10PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > That heuristic is racy. There is no way to retrieve process info
> > for windows in X.
> I don't understand this fixation on racing conditions. For instance,
> the default wmii configuration comes with a race condition: MOD-Return
> opens an xterm and MOD-<digit> switch to different views. Clearly,
> users mustn't hit MOD-<digit> after MOD-Return, lest they expose
> themselves to a racing condition.
That is true. However, it would be more annoying to run
'wmiistart firefox' and wmiistart detects the next pop-up dialog
of gimp as firefox...

> So in what way is having a program wmiistart that waits for a window to
> appear and then does stuff with that window worse? Users just mustn't
> invoke wmiistart twice without waiting long enough for the first
> instance to finish its thing. (Users should also avoid running the same
> application without wmiistart.)
With this assumption, we don't need wmiistart. If you want to
have a window appear in say tag "www", then first switch to
"www", run the app, and continue work.

> Usually, windows don't pop up without any prior user action to initiate
> this. Therefore, the user has control over the whole procedure.
Yes, but that is no argument for a wmiistart heuristic, more
against it. Actually I believe that the rules thing in wmii and
dwm is the way to go, which tags a specific window with a
specific tag. I don't see any reason for using another kind of
hints? I always tag 'Firefox.*' with 'net' or 'www', and firefox
always appears in that tag, regardless how long it needs to
start up and without interrupting me from my current task,
if I work in another view. Tagging provides everything you need,
the only thing is, that you have to get used with tagging.

Regards,