Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Kai Grossjohann <kai.grossjohann_AT_verizonbusiness.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:52:10 +0200

Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 09:28:45PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>
>> Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
>>
>>> Startup notification would be nice; unfortunately most program currently
>>> don't support it.
>>>
>> For them, one can wait for certain windows to be mapped.
>>

> That heuristic is racy. There is no way to retrieve process info
> for windows in X.
I don't understand this fixation on racing conditions. For instance,
the default wmii configuration comes with a race condition: MOD-Return
opens an xterm and MOD-<digit> switch to different views. Clearly,
users mustn't hit MOD-<digit> after MOD-Return, lest they expose
themselves to a racing condition.

So in what way is having a program wmiistart that waits for a window to
appear and then does stuff with that window worse? Users just mustn't
invoke wmiistart twice without waiting long enough for the first
instance to finish its thing. (Users should also avoid running the same
application without wmiistart.)

Usually, windows don't pop up without any prior user action to initiate
this. Therefore, the user has control over the whole procedure.

The only exception is the initiation of the X11 session. Then, we have
.xinitrc and wmiirc which are run and which could potentially invoke
wmiistart many times. If that hurts, then don't do it...

Kai