Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:09:40 +0200

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 08:56:15 -0400 Doug Bell <dougb_AT_bellz.org> wrote:
> > Being able to tell wmii that I prefer "1 max column" when
> > viewing/creating "www" and "2 equal columns" when viewing/creating
> > "work" would be very nice. (something like that)
> But you can already do that (more or less) with a wmii-4 snapshot, using
> tagging rules and column rules.
> This has the
> advantage over a static arrangement that a single "work" application
> gets full screen until you need to start another.
Yes, this is going in the right direction. I didn't want to have
static layouts. When there is a single window only, it should use
the full screen (if the application can make use of it, not all
apps scale in size). However I still stick to wmii-3.1, because
swapping is gone in wmii-4 and I didn't hear of any great replacement
for it.
Still, with the column rules, the arrangement of windows merely depends
on the order of creation. You can't do anything else on windows of
identical class/title/... but if I have a working arrangement of
e.g. editor, shell and...maybe gnuplot I'd like to have it the same
way, no matter in which order I start them. Handling this, will be
somewhat complicated, I know, it would involve window class and
selected view to define a preferential placement. No default algorithm
will ever be able to do this automatically, this needs customization,
which could happen in the way of a "for this view with these windows
store the arrangement in some rules" command (it needs a hint where
to put new clients of course). Once you have enough of these stored,
you have useful dynamicness. Up to now the arrangement already is
dynamic, but often enough cumbersome.

Regards,
Stefan