Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Andy Gimblett <A.M.Gimblett_AT_swansea.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:14:50 +0100

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 02:38:52PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:

> I do think, however, that it is useful to have some things
> pre-populated. For example, if I always read mail, then I'd like a
> "mail" view that is always visible (present?), even when I haven't
> started my mail reader yet.

I know what you mean... Even though it goes against the dynamic
management ideals of wmii, I know what you mean...

I have three views which I _nearly_ always have open. "1.c" is for
comms (mail and chatting); "2.w" is for web; "3.x" is for xmms. The
numerical prefixes help me skip to the right one quickly/easily.

Now, if I happen to not have my mail or chat app open, then "1.c" is
not present. Suddenly the hotkey for "2.w" is MODKEY-1, not MODKEY-2.
Ack! Cognitive dissonance! Extra thought required!

I expect there are Cunning Ways Around This, but I haven't
found/implemented them yet. It certainly would be a _lot_ easier if I
could just say "yes, please, I _always_ want the following views in
place, even if they're not populated". It doesn't seem like a totally
outrageous thing to desire.

Just my 2p...

-Andy

--