Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Bill Puschmann <puschy_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:23:46 -0400

Well, but what if someone wants them?

> Then that someone should /stop/ wanting them. If a method has flaws and
> can be easily superseded by another method, it's obviously time to
> re-learn.
>
> I stand corrected. What I said is not right.
>
> I do think, however, that it is useful to have some things pre-populated.
> For example, if I always read mail, then I'd like a "mail" view that is
> always visible (present?), even when I haven't started my mail reader yet.

But that's exactly the point. These are not workspaces. These are "tags
currently in use". Part of the effort of WMII is to rethink a lot of the
desktop metaphors that currently exist. That's also part of the "dynamic"
nature of this window manager - it shows you what's currently available and
changes as appropriate.

By selecting a tag, you're not saying "Show me the Mail workspace" - you're
saying "show me all the windows tagged as 'Mail' on the one and only
workspace that I have".

(I don't want this to sound mean, but) Read through the archives of this
mailing list. This was discussed at extreme length in the beginning of
2006. We went back and forth about how to conceptualize the environment.
And then there was the whole debate about "once you close the last window in
a tagset, should the tag be deleted"... I know... because I lost that round
:)