Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:25:29 -0400

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 16:00 +0200, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> On 8/11/06, Bill Puschmann <puschy_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > But that's exactly the point. These are not workspaces. These are "tags
> > currently in use". Part of the effort of WMII is to rethink a lot of the
> > desktop metaphors that currently exist. That's also part of the "dynamic"
> > nature of this window manager - it shows you what's currently available and
> > changes as appropriate.
> > By selecting a tag, you're not saying "Show me the Mail workspace" - you're
> > saying "show me all the windows tagged as 'Mail' on the one and only
> > workspace that I have".
>
> Exactly. Tags != workspaces. Those things in the bottomleft of your
> screen in wmii are not workspaces, strictly taken not even views, they
> are the individual tags that you have currently given to at least one
> window, and the highlighted one indicates what is currently visible.
> In the desktop/workspace paradigm, each workspace should be thought of
> as a separate 'desk', so you're working at multiple 'desks' at the
> same time (in real life you'd need quite a big room to do this).
> In the the tagging paradigm, there is just one desktop/workspace,
> where you put certain tags/labels on each individual window, and tell
> the computer something like "now clean my desk, leave only the windows
> with label 'mail' on it" (which is, I believe, closer to the real life
> situation; so in a certain way, wmii is actually a better
> implementation of the 'desktop methaphor' than most DE's ;-). ..
One thing I've thought was missing (or maybe it's there and I don't know
how to do it?) is the ability to say that I want to view on my desktop
everything with the tags "mail" and "net". Rather than having to give
multiple tags to the clients, I'd like the ability to dump everything on
my desktop that has either of these tags. Specify a regexp to describe
which tags I want to view --> mail|net. Can I do that?

Those things in the bottomleft of the screen are just shortcuts for
viewing all clients of one tag.

-RPM