Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Ross Mohn <rpmohn_AT_waxandwane.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:48:04 -0400

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 17:06 +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 04:59:35PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:25:29AM -0400, Ross Mohn wrote:
> > > One thing I've thought was missing (or maybe it's there and I don't know
> > > how to do it?) is the ability to say that I want to view on my desktop
> > > everything with the tags "mail" and "net". Rather than having to give
> > > multiple tags to the clients, I'd like the ability to dump everything on
> > > my desktop that has either of these tags. Specify a regexp to describe
> > > which tags I want to view --> mail|net. Can I do that?
> > >
> > > Those things in the bottomleft of the screen are just shortcuts for
> > > viewing all clients of one tag.
> >
> > There have been experimental implementations in wmii-3- for
> > this. However, there are two problems with this approach. First
> > of all, it adds redundancy, because the behavior can be achieved
> > through (un)applying a 'join' tag to all clients tagged with
> > either 'mail' or 'net'. Second, which is actually the main
> > reason I dropped the idea, is, that it is quite complex to
> > remember geometry information for such kind of views. Besides
> > this there are plenty corner cases what todo if a new client is
> > started while in the view 'mail|net' - in this case it is quite
> > complex to tag a new client who inherits the current view name
> > accordingly with both, mail and net (actually it is possible
> > through iterating all existing tags and checking if the
> > regexp matches). But the main reason has been geomtry
> > information caching. For a simple but dynamic window management
> > model like dwm implements, it would be easy to implement such
> > stuff (however, for the dwm side of life there don't exist any
> > input methods to supply such dynamic regexp to windows atm.).
> > Maybe it would be worth thinking about this approach further,
> > dunno.
>
> Another remark. Supplying such regexp matching to sort special
> windows requires much more user interaction than doing it the
> other way around: tagging windows automatically through applying
> rules with a _fixed_ set of tags. That's the approach which
> evolved so far and works best in either dwm and wmii.

I agree that the regexps in the rules is a very good thing in dwm. As
far as an input method to put multiple tags on the dwm desktop, I was
thinking of this:

MODKEY+Control+Button1 on a tag to add a tag to the desktop view
MODKEY+Control+Button3 on a tag to del a tag from the desktop view
(unless its the only tag in view!)
MODKEY+Control+h to add the previous tag to the desktop view
MODKEY+Control+l to add the next tag to the desktop view

How to tag new windows would be a question, as would what to do when
viewnext/prev are called?

Agree it would be complex in wmii, but I wouldn't care about remembering
the geometry in dwm, so could be nice!
-RPM