Re: [wmii] Re: layout per tag.

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:06:06 +0200

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 04:59:35PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:25:29AM -0400, Ross Mohn wrote:
> > One thing I've thought was missing (or maybe it's there and I don't know
> > how to do it?) is the ability to say that I want to view on my desktop
> > everything with the tags "mail" and "net". Rather than having to give
> > multiple tags to the clients, I'd like the ability to dump everything on
> > my desktop that has either of these tags. Specify a regexp to describe
> > which tags I want to view --> mail|net. Can I do that?
> >
> > Those things in the bottomleft of the screen are just shortcuts for
> > viewing all clients of one tag.
>
> There have been experimental implementations in wmii-3- for
> this. However, there are two problems with this approach. First
> of all, it adds redundancy, because the behavior can be achieved
> through (un)applying a 'join' tag to all clients tagged with
> either 'mail' or 'net'. Second, which is actually the main
> reason I dropped the idea, is, that it is quite complex to
> remember geometry information for such kind of views. Besides
> this there are plenty corner cases what todo if a new client is
> started while in the view 'mail|net' - in this case it is quite
> complex to tag a new client who inherits the current view name
> accordingly with both, mail and net (actually it is possible
> through iterating all existing tags and checking if the
> regexp matches). But the main reason has been geomtry
> information caching. For a simple but dynamic window management
> model like dwm implements, it would be easy to implement such
> stuff (however, for the dwm side of life there don't exist any
> input methods to supply such dynamic regexp to windows atm.).
> Maybe it would be worth thinking about this approach further,
> dunno.

Another remark. Supplying such regexp matching to sort special
windows requires much more user interaction than doing it the
other way around: tagging windows automatically through applying
rules with a _fixed_ set of tags. That's the approach which
evolved so far and works best in either dwm and wmii.

Regards,