Re: [wmii] WMII & screen rotation

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_10kloc.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:43:29 +0200

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 06:14:59AM +0200, Denis Grelich wrote:
> > wmii doesn't (appear to) handle dynamic screen rotation: it appears
> > to maintain the screen dimensions from pre-rotation. wmiimenu does
> > place the menu in the correct space, but existing and new windows
> > (and tag-spaces) keep the old screen dimensions. I would assume that
> > resizing the screen (say, for projecting) would result in the same
> > behavior.
> >
> > Is there a way to alert wmii that the screen has new dimensions, and
> > to have it re-layout windows?
>
> Again, wmii lacks enough ewmh handling to notice changes in resolution
> and stuff. It is on the todo list, but the developers seem to be quite
> busy with other stuff atm.

I propose following strategy. I'd like to wait until October, if
Kris will re-appear till then, everything is fine. If not, we
need another maintainer for wmii. I won't do the job again,
because from my POV dwm is the way to go. I notice that
several people do nice jobs in continueing using wmii and
there are also some long-year users like Denis around.

My midterm goals of wmii/dwm/st/ii/sic/etc are as follows:

1. I'd like to separate libixp into libnet and libixp as
separate stand-alone libraries, other tools can depend on.

2. liblitz is dead. There is no real benefit from yet another
lib for the drawing purposes in st/dwm/wmii, or dmenu. A 20 line
drawtext() function don't really justifies a separate lib, a
generic data structure for an input widget would be too much
overhead to be of use, there are fewer similarities in a text
widget and a terminal than expected, esp. if the terminal should
handle vt and multicolor stuff. And in the end, this is Xlib and
we have to use this lib in its own braindamaged ways anyways.

3. Skipping liblitz allows wmii to be implemented in a simplier
and faster way in several parts (all parts which have todo with
drawing stuff). I refer to dmenu/draw.c or dwm/draw.c.

4. libcext is crap and has to die as well.

5. wmiimenu is dead, use dmenu instead.

6. wmiir should be included into libixp and called ixpr instead.

wmii itself could be < 4kSLOC this way. And the maintenance
would only include wmii and nothing else.

I think all these things could be achieved this year already.

Regards,