Re: [wmii] WMII & screen rotation

From: Doug Bell <dougb_AT_bellz.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:33:49 -0400

Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> I propose following strategy. I'd like to wait until October, if
> Kris will re-appear till then, everything is fine. If not, we
> need another maintainer for wmii. I won't do the job again,

So you refuse to maintain wmii and there is no visible replacement
maintainer, but you are still directing it's development? Do you
expect this to work?

> because from my POV dwm is the way to go.

I think that some of dwm's simplifications are worthwhile. For example,
I never thought that the 9P support in wmii was worth the downsides of
slower operation and so many race conditions.

But I disagree with the decision to eliminate run-time configuration
files in dwm. Yes, I could edit "config.h". But why should I have to
recompile and re-install every time I change a setting? Also, this
scheme does not fit in well with multi-user systems.

I've written configuration file parsers before. It isn't that tough.
Please re-consider this decision.

I think that the right direction lies somewhere in the middle ground
between wmii and dwm.

Thanks,
Doug.