Re: [wmii] Re: Fwd: [wmii-hackers] suckless.org - new primary domain, wmii.de, wmii.net, shortest.de and 10kloc.org going to be dropped

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:36:32 +0200

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 06:42:49PM +0200, Denis Grelich wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:15:36 +0200
> Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why don't you all send the money to garbeam by paypal or whatever, and
> > he can renew the domains, and keep things with a minimun of order.
> >
> > Otherwise random people controls each domain, and it becomes almost
> > impossible to coordinate any future changes. Nothing personal, but
> > reducing the number of people that
> > controls the domains reduces the chances that someone will disappear
> > or not be reachable when they are needed, and it is much simple to
> > keep all the domains controlled by the same person.
> FULL ACK.

My point is getting rid of the domain mess, because accessing
wmii.de don't presents wmii-related information, accessing
10kloc don't presents 10kloc oriented information, accessing
shortest.de don't presents penis enlargement information. That's
why it is not a question of letting a domain survive or not -
the structure of the site has changed anyways as well, and this
makes also dead links in google. Renaming a wiki page for
instance has the same effect in google than renaming a domain, a
dead link. Actually my decision was to get rid of multiple
domains with different names pointing so a site which contains
different information than the domains might make people expect.
Setting up virtual hosts to handle the multiple domains means
more adminsitration effort, which I want to prevent. Setting up
URL rewriting also means more administration effort. Instead of
getting used to a mess, I try to clean the things up which have
evolved so far, that's why I only want a single domain for my
projects, which sounds more ideal to me.

Sure the transition won't work without any confusion,
and some brokeness, but after a while the new domain will be
established - and hopefully only one domain.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe  ><><  http://suckless.org/arg/  ><><  GPG key: 0D73F361