Re: [wmii] libixp compilation errors

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:18:18 +0200

On 10/23/06, Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net> wrote:
> Searching for anonymous unions/structs on the net leads me to
> the impression that this is a C++ism which has been introduced
> to the GNU C compiler. Looking at the Sun Studio 11 documentation
> there is nothing "anonymous" at all in the C User's Guide. Only
> the C++ User's Guide mentions a switch to enable some language
> extensions, including anonymous structs (which seem to be
> disallowed in standard C++).

This may be true, but I suspect the reason that JG used these can be found at:
    http://cm.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/comp.html (section "Extensions").
If I remember correctly, JG mentioned on irc sometime that he'd like
to use Plan9's C extensions...

> ...which leads me to the question: Is it good to make use of
> this? Wouldn't it be better to replace it with either type-casts
> or named unions/structs? (which are allowed for sure)

Since that would increase portability, that would definitally be better yes.

Greets, Sander.