[wmii] z-layering of floating clients

From: Alexis Hildebrandt <afh_AT_2drop.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:07:43 +0100

Hello,
to me it seems that the z-layering of floating clients is a bit
unexpected, and could be improved from my point of view.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Assume that three clients overlap each other in floating mode:
1. (top) $CLIENT3
2. (middle) $CLIENT2
3. (bottom) $CLIENT1

 +-----------+
 | $CLIENT2 |
 | +-----------+
 | | $CLIENT3 |
 | | |
 +-----| |
    | | |
    | +-----------+
    | $CLIENT1 |
    +-----------+

When selecting the next client down the order of clients is:
1. $CLIENT1
2. $CLIENT3
3. $CLIENT2

 after:
 +-----------+
 | $CLIENT2 |
 | +-----------+
 | | $CLIENT3 |
 | +-----------+ |
 +--| | |
    | | |
    | |--+
    | $CLIENT1 |
    +-----------+

So far so good...
When selecting the next client down again I would expect the order of
the clients to be:
1. $CLIENT2
2. $CLIENT1
3. $CLIENT3

But wmiiwm reorders the windows to:
1. $CLIENT2
2. $CLIENT3
3. $CLIENT2

 expected: wmiiwm:
 +-----------+ +-----------+
 | $CLIENT2 | | $CLIENT2 |
 | |-----+ | |-----+
 | | | | | |
 | |--+ | | | |
 +-----------+ | | +-----------+ |
    | | | | | $CLIENT3 |
    | |--+ | +----------+
    | $CLIENT1 | | $CLIENT1 |

Is anyone able to reproduce the described behaviour and would you agree
that this is somewhat unexpected and could be improved.

Please find attached a small shellscript that if run from an xterm
managed by wmii-3.5.1 demonstrates the oddity.

Greetz Alexis.

--
"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
something."