Re: [wmii] resizal of windows over fs/keyboard

From: Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:47:24 +0100

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 23:49:33 +0100
Uriel <uriel99_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> I already told you this is retarded. There is no need to have per-view
> client files, the fs design we came up with JG was much simpler,
> cleaner, and worked just fine.

Having all the client structures in one directory does not help anyone,
as you seldom want to go through all of them to find the one that you
want. I had situations though where I needed to list all clients tagged
with a specific tag. Simpler or not, sorting by tag/view is more useful.

Plus the implementation of geometry commands becomes obvious.

> One *need* to be able to read the geom information, and that is what
> the index files are for. but a geom file per client is retarded and
> unnecessary.

You need a geom command per frame anyway, whether to adjust both
width and height or only height leaving width to the column.

> Managed clients should *never* take geom commands, the only reason to
> export that information in index files is for possible pager
> applications.

The last thing what I would use this information for is a pager. There
are already EWMH hints that are used specifically for pagers, so
supporting them instead of index files with weird syntaxes or geom
files cluttering the fs I'd rather support them.

That way, both the wmii-pager work with other wm's, and pagers from
other wm's work with wmii. No need to reinvent the wheel.

As for other applications: you really seldom need to know the geometry
of a window, as this is the job of the wm and no-one should care except
it. If you really, really want to know though, you can as easily parse
the output of xwininfo.

So in the end, exporting this information is very likely useless.

Greetings
Denis