Re: [wmii] wmii on Windows

From: Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:39:06 +0100

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 01:30:28 +0530
Ajeetpal Grewal <asgrewal_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I dont know if this is the right place to post this, so I apologize
> for any inconvenience.
>
> I was wondering if a port of wmii to Windows exists (or is being
> developed). I am not talking about the cygwin port, I tried that and
> I found it rather slow. Also, it could only handle X11 windows and
> not the normal windows that could be open (like Notepad say). There
> are existing ports of blackbox (BB4Win), which are termed "shell
> replacements". However, I'm sold on the tiling window manager concept
> and in particular would like to see a true wmii port to windows. (I
> am not a windows fanatic, I love Linux, just that I have to use it at
> work).
>
> Regards,
> Ajeet.

Well, there are possibilities. First off, the default Windows shell
does horizontal and vertical tiling (I would die without this one at
work.):
http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/windows-tip-tile-two-windows-with-just-two-clicks-229612.php

Also, you can check out what there already is. Of course, most people
on Windows don't have even the slightest idea, but tiling enhancements
for the Windows shell have been written already, and not just one. I
feel like stabbing my eyes out reading about that stuff though, so you
would have to find the least sucking one yourself. So, simply check out
some software category sites, like for example tucows:
http://www.tucows.com/Windows/DesktopEnhancements/ShellEnhancements/

And, last but not least, you might really want to write a usable tiling
wm for windows. It is doable, even in VB (these two letters cause much
pain in my head :Z). Tiling is considered useless by Microsoft,
though ;)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/jul05/hey0726.mspx

Greetings
Denis