Re: [wmii] wmiiwm: cannot open display

From: sqweek <sqweek_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 16:49:31 +0800

On 10/3/07, Erik Terpstra <erik_AT_solidcode.net> wrote:
> it should be
> possible to run wmii on a second display, by invoking the following line:
>
> | DISPLAY=:1 wmii|

 This command will work, assuming there is an X server running on display :1.

> But after a while I get this message:
>
> wmiiwm: cannot open display

 Which suggests there is no X server running...

> I would like to understand what I am doing wrong, I do not know very
> much about the way X11 works.

 It goes like this: First, you start the X server. Then, you start the
X clients. Then, you get the women- err, then you're done. The X
server takes the display it should listen on as its argument, so...

; Xorg :1&
; DISPLAY=:1 wmii

 Note that this is basically what the startx script does. But startx
doesn't look up PATH and needs you to seperate client options and
server options with a --. ie:

; startx /usr/local/bin/wmii -- :1

> AFAIK it should be possible to switch between them by
> pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8 respectively.

 Indeed.
-sqweek