[wmii] wmiiwm: cannot open display

From: Erik Terpstra <erik_AT_solidcode.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:36:57 +0200

Hi,

According to the installation document (
http://www.suckless.org/wiki/wmii/docs/installation ) it should be
possible to run wmii on a second display, by invoking the following line:

| DISPLAY=:1 wmii|

But after a while I get this message:

  wmiiwm: cannot open display

I would like to understand what I am doing wrong, I do not know very
much about the way X11 works.
My goal is to test wmii separate from my regular desktop, trying to
migrate over time. AFAIK it should be possible to switch between them by
pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7 and Ctrl-Alt-F8 respectively.
I am running wmii 3.1-5 on Ubuntu Feisty)

Thanks,

Erik.