Re: [wmii] Does wmii violate U.S. Patent No. 5,072,412?

From: Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:13:44 +0200

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:50:25 +0200
"Paweł Tęcza" <ptecza_AT_uw.edu.pl> wrote:

> Denis Grelich <denisg_AT_suckless.org> writes:
>
> > There are no software patents in Europe.
>
> Hello Denis,
>
> Not yet ;) Please note that the supporters of the software
> patents are strong and active and rich, so we don't know
> what a Europe patent law will be in a future.
>
> What about distribution of wmii and all free/open source
> window managers by Novell or Red Hat? Do they have to remove
> them from their distros?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Pawel

Not that any wmii user would ever use Novell or Red Hat! ;)

Jokes aside. While I don't really think that it poses any threat to
wmii right now (as it's distributed from Germany), the threat of
software patents in general is definitely a big issue and fighting
against them is hard. Many more people could still lend a helping hand
there.

Don't know what chances there are to get rid of them in the US, but in
Europe every single person makes a difference.

Greetings
Denis