Re: [dev] wmii: dash, bash and tests in wmiirc

From: LuX <lux.onthenet_AT_free.fr>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:46:32 +0200

Hi!

Thank you for your quick and complete answer.

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 09:30:19PM -0400, Kris Maglione wrote:
> First of all, you're making things too complicated. The following
> would suffice:

You're right, but I wanted to know was the reason why this command
didn't work in wmiirc. You gave me the answer:

> Second, your problem is that wmiirc disables globbing. This is also
> the problem with your bbb script. You have the -f flag in the
> shebang line when you run dash, but not bash. If you want it to
> work, either add 'local set +f' to the function or ls the directory
> rather than globbing its contents.

I had no idea of what "globbing" means, although I use it every day,
and I would have never imagined that such a convenient feature could
be disabled. Now it's clearer, thanks again.

> UNIX was not designed to stop its users from doing stupid things, as
> that would also stop them from doing clever things.
> --Doug Gwyn

I do like this quotation! :-)

By the way, what I wanted to do when I encountered this "stupid"
problem with -f flag, if not "clever", might at least be usefull for
other people. I wanted to add to wmii some basic ability to deal with
USB pens:

- mount and open them automatically when plugged in;
- show them as buttons in the right bar, with focus or normal colors
  depending on whether their file system is mounted or unmounted;
- unmount/remount them by simple clicks on their buttons.

It might be that your removable device manager skvm does this job
perfectly, I don't know. The point is that skvm is not available in
the core repository of Arch Linux, the distro I'm using from now on,
and I do not use to compile programs from source. So I have found a
way to add this feature with wmii-3.9.2 just by modifying
appropriately the wmiirc file. If some people are interested, this is
available here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=794658#p794658

Regards,
LuX.