Re: [dev] [dwm] ncol layout

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:24:56 +0100

On 31 October 2011 05:42, Jeremy Jackins <jeremyjackins_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> keybinding), so increasing nmaster and moving that window into the
> s/increasing/decreasing/

Is it correct that you'd decrease to nmaster=0?

Anyhow, I more and more believe that incnmaster is the only sensible
approach, at least it has a clear key combo to memorize. Those
implicit actions are hard to predict in my experience, even if they
seem so simple at first.

In theory, one could argue manipulating the nmaster value is setting a
new layout algorithm, thus one should rather have setnmaster and then
combine this with a call to tile() or bstack() for instance. The
problem however is, that you would end up having 3 key combos for
tile(1,2,3) and another 3 key combos for bstack(1,2,3), thus wasting
key combos which could be achieved more flexible having a generic
nmaster.

On the other hand, nmaster is quite tight to tile() or bstack() or
similar layouting algorithms and has no meaning in case of floating or
monocle layout, which makes it conceptually unsound. Because of this,
I decided against it in the past.

So after having clarified the question about if you'd change nmaster
dynamically, I'd like to clarify this

question:

--> What is your typical range of nmaster in reality? Is it just 1-2
or even 1-3 or more?

Thanks,
Anselm