Re: [dev] wmii falling out of favor

From: Suraj N. Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 21:13:53 -0800

On Sat 24 Dec 2011 12:13:04 PM PST, dtk wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 05:54 PM, Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
> > I'm another WMII expatriate and I'm still not completely used to
> > DWM's lack of on-the-fly tag creation: especially when some new
> > random task comes up and all of my tags are currently occupied.
> > I'm forced to go to the least important tag and perform my new
> > task there while tip-toeing around existing stuff.
>
> Yeah, well, really don't see me doin' that kind of stuff after I
> had a taste of WMII. How could I? Real show stopper for me. I
> assume, cls' suggestion of having 32 (hidden) static tags and
> renaming them at runtime might serve for a compromise. That whole
> static layouts thing, tho... :/

Good point. After seeing people take SLOC minimalism further than
the suckless community's beloved DWM (c.f. MonsterWM), I realized
that it all came down to *choice* and that I actually had a choice.

So I considered the trade-offs between SLOC minimalism, project and
community activity, and my productivity in DWM vs. WMII and finally
decided to switch back to WMII (which I used since six years prior).

However, the experience of using DWM for a month was not fruitless,
because I applied that knowledge to further simplify my WMII config.
Thanks for not giving up on WMII; you reminded me of its true value.

Cheers.

--
Depart not from the path which fate has assigned you.