Re: [dev] wmii falling out of favor

From: Bjartur Thorlacius <svartman95_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 17:26:06 +0000

Þann fim 5.jan 2012 23:12, skrifaði Connor Lane Smith:

> That's not inherent to GUIs, it just so happens that existing GUIs are
> extremely poorly made. It's not interaction which needs to be logged
> so much as the modification of persistent data -- files and such --
> which could easily be logged by graphical apps. The more I think about
> it the more I believe terminals only continue to be used because of
> how awfully bad the alternatives are.

That's not enough. I want the output of all commands (messages,
documents, calculations, notes and error reports) to be stored on
increasingly mainstream terabyte disks along with enough metadata to
uniquely identify it. "Modification" is superseding a file with a
derivation. Derivatives that do not supersede any other file need also
be stored, whether they be drafts for future supersedes or files on
their own.