Re: [dev] dwm: bug in fullscreen mode (SDL?)

From: Roman Z. <romanz_AT_lavabit.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:54:40 +0100

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 06:42:42PM +0000, Nick wrote:
> Quoth ∞:
> > i found bug in dwm-{5.9,6.0} version (and early too)
> > when open one of some application fullscreened - eg zsnes, dosbox,
> > vbam - in any layout mode screen blacking and nothing work. software
> > using SDL, may be in this reason? how to fix it?
> > in openbox that applications work good, but... i want using dwm, not openbox! ))
>
> This is a known bug with SDL. It doesn't handle non-reparenting
> window managers properly. This bug was reported to them back in 2009
> I think (can't find it now), but hasn't gone anywhere.
>
> However, it turns out you can work around this using wmname
> http://tools.suckless.org/wmname to set the window manager name to
> 'LG3D'. This is the same fix which is needed to make some JDK
> programs work correctly. Thanks to Connor for suggesting it to me.
>
> Can someone with hg access update the BUGS file in the dwm
> repository with this workaround, please?
>
> So !g, install wmname, then add the line 'wmname LG3D' to your
> .xinitrc file above dwm, so it's executed every time X starts.
>
> Nick

Games work when the screen resolution of the game is the same as the
resolution in dwm. If the resolution is different, all I get is a black
screen with the DWM statusbar at the top. Keyboard input is still
passed to the game though.

Running "wmname LG3D" doesn't change anything about this for me.

Roman