Re: [dev] interested in issue tracker dev

From: Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:27:26 +0100

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 19:34:09 +0200
aecepoglu_AT_ wrote:

> I might be interested in trying to help write one such suckless issue
> tracker as requested on the webpage.
>
> I just want to ask;
> What set of features are a must for you?

After reading some discussion I have some ideas. For small projects
keeping TODO file in repository can work quite well. What about
extending this idea?

Use one of the mbox mail formats to store data:

- mbox file per issue
- treat first message in mbox as meta: modify and store common
informations (priority, short description, category of issue and so on)
there
- store everything under version control system: closed/resolved issues
can be moved to different branch (smaller checkout)

This way data can be accessed very easily, some usage ideas:

- searching for existing issues simple as checking out repository and
"greping" files
- nice time-line provided by version control system (history of
commits): when issue was updated, closed, new response was send
- advanced usage e.g. search for issues with specific priority, "cat"
them into one file and open with your email client

I think that would make some people happy. Use mailing list as main
interface, web interface could just send messages to list. Every
message would be automatically prefixed with issue ID, ID would be also
used as name for mbox file. Version control system would provide some
security against corruption (just rollback to previous working
checkout).

Anyway those are just random ideas, not sure if that is the way to go.

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:58:16 +0000
Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:

> What's wrong with GNATS?

OpenBSD bugtracker (GNATS) is down for some time and they aren't in
hurry to fix that. I think that says a lot about GNATS.