Re: [dev] interested in issue tracker dev

From: Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:23:14 +0100

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 13:17:13 -0500
Kurt H Maier wrote:

> debbugs is a bit overblown. As a systems administrator I've had the
> profound displeasure of interacting with dozens of issue trackers over
> the years; everything from RT to Trac to JIRA and on and on. The
> problem is always the same: people want bug trackers to do too much.
> All you really need is a good mail gateway and a decent way to browse.
> A mailing list, with the archive accessible in source control of some
> kind, sounds absolutely fantastic. All you really need as far as
> metadata is a string for project name, a small enum for status (i.e.,
> new, in-progress, fixed, rejected), and an index number. The Agile
> programming idiots will tell you different, but anything more than
> that list is a completely useless distraction.

I'm not sure if you like or dislike my ideas, so I'll give further
explanations.

Debbugs uses separate email address for every issue. Store mail
archive for every of those addresses in mbox format. Sounds familiar?
Store that in version control system and use as backend of bugtracker
instead of writing custom flat text format and log format.

Write access (main interface) should be provided by sending email
messages like Debbugs, maybe simplified in some cases. Side effect of
using mbox files stored under version control system is that they can
be viewed (optional read access) also by text editor or your favorite
mail client.