Re: [dev] [dwm] about _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW support

From: Andreas Amann <amann_AT_physik.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 19:09:36 +0100

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 07:29:13AM +0100, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> On 15 January 2012 07:27, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>

> >> I actually do have "wmname LG3D"
> >> I'm not home right now to test, but I'll report once I'm back
> >
> > Bare in mind that the wmname LG3D trick only fixed a bug of the JDK.
> > It is not related to chromium at all.
>
> correction: s/fixed/works around/

The problem is that Ivan uses wmname to set _NET_WM_NAME to "LG3D".
Actually chromium does not care about _NET_WM_NAME. But "wmname" has a
dirty side effect, it sets the _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK property of the root
window to the window id of the root window. That is clearly against EWMH
rules and it would be better if wmname would leave _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK
alone. I guess Chromium for some reason is smart enough to figure out that
_NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK is not set correctly, and therefore seems to decide
that it cannot trust the wm. The correct solution is therefore not to use
"wmname".

To address Ivan's other problem with NetActiveWindow, you might consider to
include the attached patch. It is similar to the patch I sent previously,
but I cut out the NetClientList part.

Andreas