Re: [dev] web browsers

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 17:26:35 +0100

Greetings.

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 17:26:35 +0100 Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:
> Quoth hiro:
> > I don't mean a list of all features imaginable, I mean a list of
> > features that exist e.g. in chrome, but are disabled in surf by
> > default, for sanity reasons. If you read again what I wrote my concern
> > is not lack of features. My biggest problem about web bullshit is that
> > it is too difficult to disable features.
>
> It would be interesting to make a list of commonly annoying & worth
> disabling (or at least providing a toggle to disable) features. Of
> course -sp does basically all of this, but at the expense of quite a
> few sites refusing to work at all.
>
> The most annoying thing I've found is quite a few sites like the
> piratebay and isohunt have some javascript that opens a popup (or
> multiple ones) if you click anywhere. And because they're click
> triggered, no popup blockers seem to work on them (I'd guess adblock
> disables the appropriate .js, though privoxy doesn't out of the
> box.)

As a little impression how worse it can get, go to simcity.com with
Firefox and adblock plus, then try to click on all the buttons to buy
the game with only enabling a minimal subset of the recursive
Javascript dependencies. I think I counted five dependency levels until
the special effects of the buttons started to work and I could click
the button to buy the game.

Buying the game was a really bad decision, but that’s another topic.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann