Re: [dev] [surf] introduce .gitignore

From: Alexander Huemer <alexander.huemer_AT_xx.vu>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 20:52:10 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 05:51:14PM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 17:51:14 +0100 Christian Hesse <list_AT_eworm.de>
> wrote:
> > this introduces file .gitignore and makes git ignore files generates
> > on build process.
>
> Why is this needed? When suckless moves to the next hip vcs on the block
> another file needs to be introduced. So: No, just don’t add these files
> to be tracked and the changes will not be committed as change.

It's best practice to have a .gitignore file.
I recommend it for all suckless subprojects.
You want to explicitly tell the VCS which files are not of interest for
it, it can not know by itself.
The move to a different VCS occurs very seldomly, in this case the
infrastructure has to be adopted. Porting the file ignore list is a very
easy task.
What are the downsides of having this besides the VCS move thing?

Kind regards,
-Alexander Huemer