Re: [dev] [surf] introduce .gitignore

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:04:48 +0100

Greetings.

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:04:48 +0100 Alexander Huemer <alexander.huemer_AT_xx.vu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 05:51:14PM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 17:51:14 +0100 Christian Hesse <list_AT_eworm.de>
> > wrote:
> > > this introduces file .gitignore and makes git ignore files generates
> > > on build process.
> >
> > Why is this needed? When suckless moves to the next hip vcs on the block
> > another file needs to be introduced. So: No, just don’t add these files
> > to be tracked and the changes will not be committed as change.
> >

> It's best practice to have a .gitignore file.
> I recommend it for all suckless subprojects.
> You want to explicitly tell the VCS which files are not of interest for
> it, it can not know by itself.
> The move to a different VCS occurs very seldomly, in this case the
> infrastructure has to be adopted. Porting the file ignore list is a very
> easy task.
> What are the downsides of having this besides the VCS move thing?

The argumentation is different: What’s the advantage of having a .gitig‐
nore file? If I put some spare files into that directory, like patch
files or some debug output, then git will tell me that these files are
untracked too. Forcing the user to think of what’s explictly ig‐
nored is just adding complexity. In the current state all files are
shown which are not tracked, which is what git should do anyways.

While adding complexity to the untracked file list it’s not adding any
advantage for anyone. That’s why .gitignore is not added.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann