Re: [dev] Talk about suckless

From: Hadrian Węgrzynowski <hadrian_AT_hawski.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 09:23:54 +0200

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 20:13:11 -0400
Alex Pilon <alp_AT_alexpilon.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 02:26:08PM +0200, Martin Kopta wrote:
> > Talk description is (translated):
> >
> > "Introduction to ideology of software that smells less and
> > presentation of results of the suckless project. Demostration of
> > dwm window manager,
>
> Don't just demonstrate. Try to prove that a dynamic window manager is
> overwhelmingly superior to the current inefficient paradigms. Don't
> forget to mention low dependency count, and quick compilation times.

You can mention that tiling paradigm came back with smart
phones, Windows 8, GNOME3, Unity and earlier with Aero-Snap. You can
then make some comparisons and point out differences.

> > terminal emulator st,
>
> Any theme in particular? *Straightforward* hackability? Comparison to
> xterm or whatever is shipped by default in favourite distro X?

> > minimalist web browser surf
>
> Make a point about practical usage.

You can talk about tabbed in case of surf, st and general case.

> > Is there something I absolutely shouldn't forget to mention?
That suckless software as is is not for everyone, but easily you can
use that software as foundation to build upon.

With regards,
Hadrian Węgrzynowski.