Re: [dev] C coded lightweight Linux vector graphics editor

From: <stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 13:50:11 +0200

* Džen 2014-06-23 13:09
> As a back-end and syntax.

> TikZ actually is quite simple.

The syntax is simple for simple things, true.

But then you need to through it to pgf and tex and whether they as
dependences make much sense…

> A lot of people find it difficult to use, but practice makes perfect.

I have used it several times for different purposes but not so often.
Every time I get back to it, I find myself “relearning” things I had
already knew last time. I don't always have time for practice a lot --
for these cases I feel a graphical front is useful.

> To me it seems to be the most sophisticated front-end around for
> drawing vector graphics.

Well, the front end is your text editor. (See downsides of this below.)

> I guess it's a matter of taste, but I prefer to write some TikZ code
> instead of using a fancy graphical front-end to manipulate (XML-based)
> vector graphics.

Me too, for some cases: it particularly pays off for well defined basic
figures when you know their relative positions in beforehand and you
don't need the visual feedback for; and for repeating modular drawings
as well. However, for free form curves and prototyping, it becomes an
ugly endless mess of adjust-compile-view cycles.

cheers
--s_